Local SEO helps you optimise your online presence for local searches, and one of the tools in your armoury when it comes to local SEO is the acquisition of Google Maps citations.
You might not be familiar with this term, but citations are basically online references to your business, and the more high-quality citations you have, the better your chances of ranking higher in search results on search engines like Google.
Rocket Agency has experience in delivering results-focused SEO services for local businesses. In this article, we'll talk about what citations are, why they matter for local SEO, and how to get more of them.
There are many places online where you might be able to get your business listed.
1. Business directories: These are online directories that list businesses in a particular location or industry. Examples include Yelp, Yellow Pages, and Foursquare.
2. Industry-specific websites: Depending on your business type, there may be industry-specific websites or directories that list businesses in your field. Examples include Lawpath for lawyers, Australian Health Directory for doctors, and Fix-A-Tap for plumbers.
3. Local news sites: Articles or mentions of your business in local newspapers or news websites can also serve as citations.
4. Social media profiles: Your business's profiles on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn can serve as citations, as they include your business's name, address, and phone number.
5. Customer review sites: Customer reviews on sites like Google My Business, TripAdvisor, Clutch and Yelp count as citations, as they typically include your business's name, address, and phone number.
The first two options above provide structured citations, which, as you might expect, is a citation that appears in a structured format, and generally includes your business's name, address, phone number, website, and other details. Conversely, an unstructured citation might just mention your business by name and location, as in the following three examples above.
Both types of citations can be important for improving your business's online visibility and local search rankings, and it's important to have a mix of both in your citation portfolio.
Search engines like Google use citations as a way to determine the accuracy and relevance of a business's information. These searches in turn influence its local search rankings, which is why local SEO matters. Here's how it works:
Local SEO citation building for your business involves a few key steps, including the submission process, ensuring accuracy, and ongoing monitoring. Here's a breakdown of how to get (and make the most of) these citations:
Google Maps citations are a crucial factor in improving a business's local SEO rankings. Accurate and consistent citations on business listings, directories, and Google Maps can help improve a business's online visibility, increase website traffic, and drive more foot traffic to physical locations. By following best practices for citation management, businesses can ensure their information is up-to-date and consistent across all citation sources, increasing their chances of ranking well in local search results.
As the Co-Founder and Senior SEO Strategist at Rocket Agency, Garry has worked to launch and improve marketing campaigns for leading Australian and international brands including Meriton Suites, Luna Park and Medecins Sans Frontieres.
Garry combines his solid mathematical background with a grounding in actuarial studies with business insight and empathy to create cutting-edge marketing campaigns. As a lifelong learner, he stays up-to-date with martech trends in this fast-moving digital space. At Rocket, he has led a team of PPC and SEO specialists that have run award-winning ad campaigns.